Just Chocolate Cake
I used to work in a chocolate shop. It was the best. ever. We always had piles of the stuff around the house and at least once a week (maybe more) there would be leftover mousse, cakes or chocolate ice-cream for dessert. I love hot cross buns and I love delicious spiced carrot cake but nothing speaks to me at Easter as much as chocolate. This cake is not pretending to be anything else. It’s rich and decadent and it will definitely hit the spot.
By Kirsten McKechnie
170g butter at room temperature
3/4 cup of sugar
1/2 cup of brown sugar
1 2/3 cups of flour
2/3 cup good quality cocoa powder
1.5 tsps baking soda
1 tsp fleur de sel or other delicious salt
1 1/2 cups of buttermilk
1 large egg
110 g dark chocolate, melted
Chocolate Persian fairy floss to decorate
1. Preheat your oven to 180°C and butter the inside of a Bundt pan.
2. In a stand mixer, cream together the butter and the sugars until the mixture has lightened in colour a little.
3. Whisk in all the other ingredients except for the chocolate.
4. Stir in the chocolate last and then pour the mixture into a Bundt pan.
5. Bake for about 50 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
6. After ten minutes, turn the cake out of the pan to cool on a rack.
7. When the cake is cool, decorate with chocolate fairy floss.