CREATIVE CHRISTMAS: Green beans with Pomegranate and Almond RECIPE
By Kirsten McKechnie.
Pomegranate is just the perfect Christmassy garnish to a salad. Gorgeous little red jewels, both sweet and tart at the same time, they bring this salad to life. There is emerging evidence that almonds can aid in digestion, which is a definite plus on Christmas day!
100g of Rocket
½ can of chickpeas
200g green beans
Juice from a lemon
3 tbsp olive oil
1. Roughly chop the almonds and dry roast in a small pan for a couple of minutes. Don’t walk away! I promise they won’t take long.
2. Open up your pomegranate and pull out all the arils. I recommend doing this under water in a large bowl- the pith will all float to the top and you won’t stain your clothes.
3. Drain and rinse the chickpeas.
4. Saute the green beans in 1 tbsp of the olive oil until they are just tender but still bright green.
5. Combine all the elements in a bowl and toss with the lemon juice and remaining olive oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste.