DIY Mini Marbled Clay Decorative Bowls
We love creating new and unique DIY projects for you all. However, like most people, we also need to find inspiration from other creative minds. So, whilst trawling through Pinterest the other night, we came across this gem from the talented team at A Beautiful Mess. These marble clay decorative bowls may look a little intimating, however, we promise you they are so easy to make, and lots of fun!
See below, our take on this project (we changed it up a little) and all the steps and materials you need.
(On a side note, we couldn’t help but style this shoot with our new favourite book from Lisa Messenger, for all of you inspiring entrepreneurs out there, get onto it).
What You’ll Need:
Oven bake clay (range of colours)
gold gilding and a small paint brush (optional)
rolling pin (or an empty wine bottle or jar)
1. Using your hands roll multiple strips of white and coloured clay into varying lengths. We tried different lengths and thicknesses of each strip, which ultimately determines the colour and pattern of your dish.
2. Combine the strips and twist together; then roll, fold in half, twist, and roll again. Repeat the process multiple times. You can’t go wrong here; the more you roll and twist, the more the colours will blend. Roll into a ball when you’re done.
3. Use a rolling pin, glass jar, or an empty wine bottle, roll out the ball into a flat pancake. Blend the colours as you go.
4. Using the edge of a round bowl or jar, trace and cut out your dish with an X-Acto knife. Place your clay circle into an oven safe bowl or set it gently on top of one to create a shallow tray. We used a few different dishes and mixed and matched them to create different shapes. Bake the clay according to the directions on the package; they will still feel a bit soft to the touch, but will harden as they cool.
5. Once cooled, gently remove the dish and paint the edges of the tray with gold gilding. Leave overnight and then paint the entire tray with a glaze to seal it and/or give it a glossy finish – note that this will not make it unbreakable or food safe.