Persian Love Cake with Moscato Icing
Love isn’t just for Persian suitors, it’s for our dear mums too!
INGREDIENTS: (To fill 12x 70ml cake moulds)
For the cakes:
180g almond meal
60g demerara sugar
110g light muscarvado sugar
1/2 tsp salt
125g greek yoghurt
1 tsp cardamom
Zest from half an orange
For the icing:
125g butter (at room temperature)
125g copha (at room temperature)
1/4 cup of Yellowglen Moscato
4 cups of icing sugar
Pink gel colouring (I used Americolor deep pink
Yellow sugar mimosa flowers or any other sugar flowers.
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
2. In a food processor, pulse together the almond meal, sugars, butter and salt until the mixture resembles fine bread crumbs.
3. Take half of the mixture and press it into your moulds.
4. To the remaining mixture, add the egg, yoghurt, cardamom and orange zest. Process for a further few seconds until just mixed and then pour into the moulds.
5. Bake for 25 minutes or until a skewer can be inserted and drawn out clean. Cool completely before removing from the cake moulds.
6. Beat the butter and copha together. Make sure you eliminate any chunks of copha or the icing may become stuck in the piping nozzle.
7. Pour in the moscato and add the sugar gradually, beating after each addition, until you are happy with the consistency.
8. Add the gel colour and mix until you have a consistent colour.
9. Spoon the icing into a piping bag fitted with a star shaped nozzle and pipe onto the cooled cakes. Garnish with sugar flowers.
(We added some edible gold for styling)