Summer Picnic Fare – Baguette with Apple, Mint, Chilli and Prosciutto.
By Kirsten McKechnie
Welcome to Summer! This is a fresh little recipe that will happily accompany you to your next picnic. It’s zingy and light- something a bit different to the usual quiche or zucchini slice. If you happen to have some leftover Christmas ham this is a great way to finish it off but I use shaved prosciutto. Take the sliced bread, the apple mixture and pork seperately- all you will need is a spoon and you can assemble the pieces as you go.
200g shaved prosciutto or Christmas ham
2 red chillies
4 granny smith apples
Juice from a lemon
1 tbsp smooth mustard
3/4 cup mayonnaise
1/2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
2 crusty baguettes
1. Dice the apples (use a food processor if you wish!) Squeeze some lemon over the apples as you go to stop them from browning.
2. Finely chop the chillies and mint and combine with the apple.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together the mustard, mayonnaise and vinegar, making sure to season with salt once combined.
4. Combine mayonnaise mixture with the apple and mix well with any remaining lemon juice.
5. Slice the baguettes and butter each piece of bread.
6. Heap a tablespoon or two of the apple mixture onto each piece of bread and top with prosciutto or leftover Christmas ham