CREATIVE CHRISTMAS: Cherry Tomatoes with Fresh Herbs, Cucumber and Farro RECIPE
By Kirsten McKechnie.
This is a light Summery salad that relies on simple fresh ingredients and the wonderful chewy texture of the farro. It is so easy to pull together and you can easily replace bits and pieces with what you have to hand or what is in season The classic dressing of oil and vinegar is simple and doesn’t discriminate against other flavours at all so mix it up as much as you like. I suggest trying it with goats cheese and adding some pine nuts when you feel like a change.
1½ cups of farro
½ bunch flat leaf parsley
½ bunch basil
250g cherry tomatoes
50g peppercorn chedder cheese, crumbled (you could also use regular cheddar or goats cheese)
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
4 tbsp olive oil
1. Rinse the farro through a sieve as you would rice, then put it into a medium sized saucepan with four cups of water and a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 20-25 minutes until grains are softened. They will still be a bit chewy!
2. While the farro cooks, pick the leaves from both the basil and parsley.
3. Halve the cherry tomatoes.
4. Cut the cucumbers into quarters lengthways and then slice on an angle.
5. Strain the farro and leave it to dry out for a moment back in the hot pan. Fluff with a fork.
6. Combine farro with all the other ingredients in a bowl.
7. Dress with the red wine vinegar and olive oil just as you are about to serve.