RECIPES: Roasted aubergine (eggplant) dip
A few weeks ago we shared the wonderful Moroccan cooking class that Emma, her sister Caroline and mum Bonnie took part in. Today WLT Contributor Caroline Clapham shares the beautiful recipes that they made from the cooking class at Cafe Clock.
Roasted aubergine (eggplant) dip
This is a delightfully smoky, tasty dip. Perfect as an appetiser with fresh pita bread or served as an accompaniment to the chicken pastillas.
- 3 Aubergines (eggplants)
- Small bunch fresh parsley
- Small bunch fresh coriander
- 3 garlic cloves
- 3 tbs olive oil
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 3 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- Good pinch of salt and pepper
- The juice of 1 lemon
1. Roast the aubergines over an open flame (either over a gas stove-top, open fire or on a BBQ) for approximately 10 minutes or until outer skin is completely blackened.
2. Place the aubergines in a plastic bag and allow to sweat for a further 10 minutes
3. Whilst the aubergines are sweating chop the fresh parsely and coriander very finely and finely dice the garlic cloves.
4. Remove the aubergines from their plastic bag and carefully (as they will still be hot) peel away the blackened skin, don’t fret if you can’t get all of the charcoaled skin off, it will add to the flavour.
5. Chop the aubergines, until they form a mushy, dip-like consistency.
6. Heat 2 tbp olive oil in a saucepan and sauté garlic for a couple of minutes over a moderate heat
7. Add the chilli, cumin, salt and pepper and 2 tsp of paprika to the garlic and approximately 1tbp each of the finely chopped parsley and coriander, cook for a further minute.
8. Add the aubergine to the spice and herb mixture and gently mix over a moderate heat for 5-10 minutes, or until well heated through.
9. Turn out into an appropriately sized serving dish. Add extra parsley, coriander and salt and pepper to taster. Sprinkle over remaining 1 tsp of paprika and finally drizzle over remaining 1tbp of olive oil and the juice of 1 lemon.